NRS Healthcare is unique amongst ICES providers in having a dedicated Product Design and Development Team which is primarily focused on developing improved and innovative products for maintaining independence in the home.
We manufacture over 500 own designed or own labelled products, including many of our best selling and most established product lines such as the Mowbray Toilet Seat and Frame and Seahorse Sanichair.
Our Product Design Team, which includes a Project Manager, Senior Design Engineer and Quality Engineer, has won several design awards including the BHTA Independent Living Design Award for the 2-in-1 Bed Rail and the Seahorse Sanichair and the National Association of Equipment Providers (NAEP) Innovation Award for the Folding Easy Fit Bed Rail.
The team works closely with our ICES contracts to develop solutions to specific product issues highlighted by clinicians through Equipment Review Groups. We listen to feedback from clinicians regarding product improvements and actively seek feedback on new product designs. We strive to improve the aesthetic appearance of products and are increasingly involving end users in the product development process through focus groups.
Designing for recycling has been an intrinsic part of our design process for many years; this includes ease of cleaning as well as the number of times a product may be recycled.
- Designing out wherever possible dirt traps
- Making areas accessible for hand cleaning
- Using durable materials and designs that can be autoclaved (eg raised toilet seats that are welded rather than glued)
- Reducing the number of components
- Designing to reduce water ingress (an example being pin clipping the extension tubes on our perching stools so that the adjustment holes are concealed at all height positions).